視頻介紹
克裡斯·柯魯威將展望體育運動的未來,並思考科技能為球員、教練還有粉絲帶來怎樣的改變。
作為前美國國家橄欖球聯盟的棄踢手,克裡斯想像在未來利用擴增實境技術讓人們身臨其境如在球場一般,也許還能幫助人類以一個全新的視角看待他人。
片長:16:19
滑動查看完整雙語演講稿☟
What do augmented reality and professional football have to do with empathy?
擴增實境和職業橄欖球這二者和同理心有何關系?
And what is the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
未負重的燕子飛行的空速是多少?
Now unfortunately,I’m only going to answer one of those questions today,so please,try and contain your disappointment.
遺憾的是,今天我隻會回答其中一個問題,所以請不要感到沮喪。
When most people think about augmented reality,they think about “Minority Report” ,
當大多數人想到擴增實境時,他們會想到電影《少數派報告》,
and Tom Cruise waving his hands in the air,but augmented reality is not science fiction.
以及湯姆·克魯斯在空中揮舞著雙手的場景,但擴增實境並不是科幻小說。
Augmented reality is something that will happen in our lifetime,and it will happen because we have the tools to make it happen,
這項技術會在我們有生之年成為現實,因為我們有辦法去實現它,
and people need to be aware of that,because augmented reality will change our lives just as much as the Internet and the cell phone.
大家需要意識到這點,擴增實境將改變我們的生活,如同互聯網和手機那樣。
Now how do we get to augmented reality?
那麼我們怎麼才能實現擴增實境呢?
Step one is the step I’m wearing right now,Google Glass.
首先就是戴上我現在戴的這個東西——谷歌眼鏡。
I’m sure many of you are familiar with Google Glass.
相信在場有很多人都對它不陌生。
What you may not be familiar with is that Google Glass is a device that will allow you to see what I see.
但你可能並不知道,谷歌眼鏡還可以讓你看到我所看到的一切。
It will allow you to experience what it is like to be a professional athlete on the field.
它能讓你體會到身為職業運動員在賽場上的感受。
Right now,the only way you can be on the field is for me to try and describe it to you.
而現在,要想體會這種感受的唯一方式就是聽我去向你描述。
I have to use words.
我必須要借助語言。
I have to create a framework that you then fill in with your imagination.
我必須建立起一個框架,然後你運用想像力去充實它。
With Google Glass,we can put that underneath a helmet,and we can get a sense of what it’s like to be running down the field at 100 miles an hour,
而有了谷歌眼鏡,我們可以把它放在橄欖球頭盔下,這樣我們就能體會到以每小時100英裡的速度在球場上奔跑的感受,
your blood pounding in your ears.
你能聽到血液在耳中怦怦搏動的聲音。
You can get a sense of what it’s like to have a 250-pound man sprinting at you trying to decapitate you with every ounce of his being.
你還能體會到一個250磅重的人向你飛奔而來的感受,他竭盡全力要把你放倒。
And I’ve been on the receiving end of that,and it doesn’t feel very good.
我就曾被放倒過,那感覺可不怎麼樣。
Now,I have some footage to show you of what it’s like to wear Google Glass underneath the helmet to give you a taste of that.
下面這段視頻將展示頭盔下的谷歌眼鏡所記錄的片段,讓你體驗一把。
Unfortunately,it’s not NFL practice footage because the NFL thinks emergent technology is what happens when a submarine surfaces,
遺憾的是,這並不是橄欖球聯盟的訓練視頻,因為他們覺得新興技術是在潛水艇浮出水時才會發生的事兒《NFL混淆了emerge和emergent兩個詞的意思》
but — (Laughter) — we do what we can.
但是——(笑聲)——我們盡我們所能。
So let’s pull up some video. Go.
讓我們來看看這段視頻,來了。
(Video) Chris Kluwe: Ugh,getting tackled sucks.
(視頻)克裡斯·柯魯威:啊,被攔阻太不爽了。
Hold on,let’s get a little closer.
稍等,等我走近點兒。
All right,ready? Go!
準備好了嗎?走你!
Chris Kluwe: So as you can see,small taste of what it’s like to get tackled on the football field from the perspective of the tacklee.
克瑞斯·柯魯威:就像你看到的這段視頻一樣,從被攔阻者的角度來體驗在球場上被攔阻的感受。
Now,you may have noticed there are some people missing there: the rest of the team.
現在你可能注意到球場上少了些什麼人:少了球隊的其他成員。
We have some video of that courtesy of the University of Washington.
還有段視頻由華盛頓大學提供。
(Video) Quarterback: Hey,54! Mice 54!
《視頻》四分衛:嘿!54!Mice54!
Blue 8! Blue 8! Go! Oh!
藍色球衣8號!藍色球衣8號!走起!啊!
CK: So again,this takes you a little bit closer to what it’s like to be on that field,but this is nowhere what it’s like to be on the NFL.
克裡斯·柯魯威:這又讓你更近距離地去體驗在球場的感受,但這和橄欖球聯盟比賽相比完全不是同一種感覺。
Fans want that experience.
粉絲想要體驗身處那種比賽中的感覺。
Fans want to be on that field.
他們想要體會在球場上的感覺。
They want to be their favorite players,and they’ve already talked to me on YouTube,they’ve talked to me on Twitter,saying,
他們想要變身為他們最喜歡的球員,粉絲們已經在油管上和我談起了這點,還在推特上跟我說起這事兒,
“Hey,can you get this on a quarterback?
『嗨,你能不能讓一個四分衛戴上這眼鏡?』
Can you get this on a running back?
『讓跑衛也戴上它?』
We want that experience.”
『我們也想感受一把』
Well,once we have that experience with GoPro and Google Glass,how do we make it more immersive?
當我們有了GoPro攝像機和谷歌眼鏡後,我們怎麼才能提供更仿真式的體驗呢?
How do we take that next step?
下一步該做些什麼呢?
Well,we take that step by going to something called the Oculus Rift,which I’m sure many of you are also familiar with.
接下來就是利用頭戴式顯示器,相信你們大多數人對它也很熟悉。
The Oculus Rift has been described as one of the most realistic virtual reality devices ever created,and that is not empty hype.
頭戴式顯示器被稱為目前制造出的效果最逼真的虛擬顯示設備,這可不是什麼天花亂墜的炒作。
I’m going to show you why that is not empty hype with this video.
接下來我將向你展示這為什麼不是炒作,看看這段視頻。
(Video) Man: Oh! Oh! Oh! No! No! No!
《視頻》男人:哦!哦!哦!不!不!不!
I don’t want to play it!
我不想再玩了!
No! Oh my God! Aaaah!
不!我的天啊!啊啊啊!
CK: So that is the experience of a man on a roller coaster in fear of his life.
克裡斯·柯魯威:這名男士在體會坐在過山車上的感受,擔心自己快沒命了。
What do you think that fan’s experience is going to be when we take the video footage of an Adrian Peterson bursting through the line,
你覺得粉絲會有怎樣的感覺——當他們看到這樣的視頻:阿德裡安·彼得森沖過分碼線,
shedding a tackler with a stiff-arm before sprinting in for a touchdown?
伸直手臂擋開來攔阻的人,然後飛奔至達陣區觸地得分?
What do you think that fan’s experience is going to be when he’s Messi sprinting down the pitch putting the ball in the back of the net,
想想粉絲會有怎樣的感受——當他變身梅西在球場上疾馳將球送入對方球門,
or Federer serving in Wimbledon?
或者變身費德勒在溫佈爾頓打球?
What do you think his experience is going to be when he is going down the side of a mountain at over 70 miles an hour as an Olympic downhill skier?
想像這樣的場景:當一個人作為奧運會速降滑雪運動員會,從山的一側以70多英裡每小時的速度下降會是怎樣的感受?
I think adult diaper sales may surge.
我估摸成人紙尿褲的銷量可能會激增。
But this is not yet augmented reality.
但這還不是擴增實境技術。
This is only virtual reality,V.R.
這僅僅是虛擬現實《VR》。
How do we get to augmented reality,A.R.?
那麼我們怎樣才能做到擴增實境呢《AR》?
We get to augmented reality when coaches and managers and owners look at this information streaming in that people want to see,and they say,
隻有當教練、經理和球隊老板看到『大家都想去體驗一把』的信息源源不斷時,我們就會進入擴增實境,然後他們會問:
“How do we use this to make our teams better?
『怎麼才能利用這項技術讓我們的球隊表現得更好?』
How do we use this to win games?”
『怎麼利用它去贏得比賽?』
Because teams always use technology to win games.
球隊總是靠科技獲勝。
They like winning.
他們喜歡取勝。
It makes them money.
這會讓他們賺到錢。
So a brief history of technology in the NFL.
簡短地說幾句橄欖球聯盟使用科技的歷史。
In 1965,the Baltimore Colts put a wristband on their quarterback to allow him to call plays quicker.
1965年,巴爾的摩小馬隊讓他們的四分衛戴上腕帶,這樣他就能更快地發起進攻口令。
They ended up winning a Super Bowl that year.
那年他們最後獲得了超級碗冠軍。
Other teams followed suit.
其他球隊也紛紛效仿。
More people watched the game because it was more exciting.
更多的人觀看了這場比賽,因為它更精彩。
It was faster.
比賽節奏也變得更快了。
In 1994,the NFL put helmet radios into the helmets of the quarterbacks,and later the defense.
1994年,橄欖球聯盟在四分衛的頭盔裡安裝了無線電通訊器,隨後給防守隊員也裝上了。
More people watched games because it was faster.
更多的人觀看比賽,因為它節奏更快。
It was more entertaining.
更具娛樂性。
In 2023,imagine you’re a player walking back to the huddle,
想像在2023年,身為球員的你走到球隊集合點,
and you have your next play displayed right in front of your face on your clear plastic visor that you already wear right now.
看到下一次進攻的戰術圖顯示在你眼前的頭盔護面上,也就是現在球員戴的頭盔護面。
No more having to worry about forgetting plays.
你不用再擔心自己忘了戰術。
No more worrying about having to memorize your playbook.
不用再擔心去死背『兵書』。
You just go out and react.
你隻需走上球場,開始行動就行。
And coaches really want this,because missed assignments lose you games,and coaches hate losing games.
教練們很想實現這點,因為不能成功地實施戰術會導致輸掉比賽,而教練討厭輸掉比賽。
Losing games gets you fired as a coach.
輸了比賽,教練就得被炒魷魚。
They don’t want that.
他們可不想被解雇。
But augmented reality is not just an enhanced playbook.
但擴增實境不僅僅能幫你在戰術上有所提高。
Augmented reality is also a way to take all that data and use it in real time to enhance how you play the game.
它還能利用獲得的所有數據進行實時分析,幫你打場更精彩的比賽。
What would that be like?
那會是什麼樣子?
Well,a very simple setup would be a camera on each corner of the stadium looking down,giving you a bird’s-eye view of all the people down there.
一個很簡單的方法就是在體育場的每個角都裝上攝像機,這樣你就能俯視全場,看到場內所有的人。
You also have information from helmet sensors and accelerometers,technology that’s being worked on right now.
你還能從頭盔傳感器和加速度傳感器獲得信息,現在這些技術正處在研發之中。
You take all that information,and you stream it to your players.
你把獲得的信息傳給球員。
The good teams stream it in a way that the players can use.
優秀的球隊知道該如何利用這些數據。
The bad ones have information overload.
而糟糕的球隊則會面對信息負荷的問題。
That determines good teams from bad.
這就決定了一個球隊的好壞。
And now,your I.T. department is just as important as your scouting department,and data-mining is not for nerds anymore.
那時,球隊的信息技術部門就和負責物色球員的部門一樣重要,數據挖掘再也不是電腦呆子才幹的事兒。
It’s also for jocks.
運動員也能去挖掘數據。
Who knew?
誰知道呢?
What would that look like on the field?
那在球場上又是怎樣一番場景呢?
Well,imagine you’re the quarterback.
想象一下你是四分衛。
You take the snap and you drop back.
你接到發球,然後向後撤。
You’re scanning downfield for an open receiver.
你掃視前場,想要把球傳給一個沒人防守的接球員。
All of a sudden,a bright flash on the left side of your visor lets you know,blind side linebacker is blitzing in.
突然你的護面左邊出現一道閃光,讓你意識到無人防守的線衛正對你閃電突擊。
Normally,you wouldn’t be able to see him,but the augmented reality system lets you know.
通常情況下,你是看不到線衛的,但是擴增實境系統告訴了你。
You step up into the pocket.
你退到口袋區。
Another flash alerts you to an open receiver.
又一道閃光提醒你有個無人防守的接球員。
You throw the ball,but you’re hit right as you throw.
你扔出球,但在發球的同時卻被從右邊來的人撞倒。
The ball comes off track.
球偏離了軌道。
You don’t know where it’s going to land.
你不知道它會落在哪裡。
However,on the receiver’s visor,he sees a patch of grass light up,and he knows to readjust.
不過在接球員的護面上,他看到一小片草地變亮了,他知道要重新調整路線。
He goes,catches the ball,sprints in,touchdown.
他跑到那裡接到球,然後飛奔去觸地得分。
Crowd goes wild,and the fans are with him every step of the way,watching from every perspective.
球場沸騰了,球員的每一步粉絲都可以身臨其境去感受,從每一個角度去體會。
Now this is something that will create massive excitement in the game.
而這就能為比賽帶來無窮的刺激。
It will make tons of people watch,because people want this experience.
它吸引無數人去觀賽,因為大家想要體會那種感受。
Fans want to be on the field.
粉絲們想要身處球場之中。
They want to be their favorite player.
他們想要變身為他們最愛的球員。
Augmented reality will be a part of sports,because it’s too profitable not to.
擴增實境將成為運動的一部分,因為它能帶來太多的好處和利益。
But the question I ask you is,is that’s all that we’re content to use augmented reality for?
但我現在想要問你們,難道我們就滿足於這樣使用擴增實境嗎?
Are we going to use it solely for our panem,our circenses,our entertainment as normal?
僅僅是為了賺錢贏得比賽,增強娛樂性?
Because I believe that we can use augmented reality for something more.
我認為我們可以利用它實現更多。
I believe we can use augmented reality as a way to foster more empathy within the human species itself,
我們能用它讓人們對人類自己產生更多的同理心,
by literally showing someone what it looks like to walk a mile in another person’s shoes.
讓人們真真正正地體會到穿著別人的鞋走一英裡的感受。
We know what this technology is worth to sports leagues.
我們都知道這項技術對於體育聯盟的價值。
It’s worth revenue,to the tune of billions of dollars a year.
它能帶來每年數十億美元的收入。
But what is this technology worth to a teacher in a classroom trying to show a bully just how harmful his actions are from the perspective of the victim?
但這項技術也對老師很有價值,她能告訴學校裡的惡霸學生,站在被欺負人的角度去審視自己的行為造成多大的傷害。
What is this technology worth to a gay Ugandan or Russian trying to show the world what it’s like living under persecution?
這項技術對於烏幹達或俄羅斯的同性戀也有價值,它能讓世界上其他人體會到被迫害的感受。
What is this technology worth to a Commander Hadfield or a Neil deGrasse Tyson trying to inspire a generation of children to think more about space and science instead of quarterly reports and Kardashians?
這項技術對於指揮官哈德菲爾德或奈爾·德葛拉司·泰森這樣的人也有用,利用擴增實境啟發下一代人,讓孩子們去更多地思考太空、科學而不是季刊和卡戴珊。
Ladies and gentlemen,augmented reality is coming.
女士們先生們,擴增實境的時代就要來臨。
The questions we ask,the choices we make,and the challenges we face are,as always,up to us.
我們提出的問題,做出的選擇,面臨的挑戰全都取決於我們自己。
Thank you.
謝謝。
每天觀看TED演講,收獲良多:
為何看過無數美劇
聽過無數英文歌
遇到老外還是『啞巴英語』?
那是因為你缺少口語鍛煉!
領取後即可體驗488元的外教口語課
勇敢開口說英語,
相信你也可以!
點擊這裡閱讀原文,亦可馬上領取